How to Become a Foster Parent
Minimum foster care parent requirements for consideration of licensure:
- Applicant(s) must be at least 21 years old and exhibit general stability in their lives.
- Applicant(s) must have one extra bedroom in their home to use for foster children. Consideration for the care of infants will be addressed on an individual basis.
- Applicant(s) must have the physical stamina and emotional aptitude necessary to care for children.
- Applicant(s) must complete and pass all background checks. For more information on foster care parent requierments, visit the Background Check page.
- Applicant(s) must have a valid Colorado Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle maintained per Colorado law (i.e. insurance and registration).
- Applicant(s) may not smoke in their home or vehicles while caring for foster children.
- Applicant(s) must pass a home inspection ensuring their physical space/property is maintained safely for children.
- Applicant(s) must be financially stable without foster care reimbursement. If you have received financial assistance or have prior bankruptcies, please be prepared to discuss these in length.
- All potential foster parents must be willing to work with biological parents!